What are the WEP’s (Women’s Empowerment Principles)?
Women’s Empowerment Principles-Equality Means Business suggests seven steps for companies to take to empower women in the workplace and the market place. They were launched by the United Nations Development Fund For Women (UNIFEM, part of UN Women) and the United Nations Global Compact on March 8th, 2010 based on a multi-stakeholder consultative process.
The Women’s Empowerment Principles are subtitled Equality Means Business because the full participation of women benefits business and by signing the Statement of Support, CEOs will demonstrate leadership on gender equality and women’s empowerment and will encourage fellow business leaders to do the same.
The 7 Principles are:
1. Establish high-level corporate leadership for gender equality.
2. Treat all women and men fairly at work – respect and support human rights and nondiscrimination.
3. Ensure the health, safety and well-being of all women and men worker
4. Promote education, training and professional development for women.
5. Implement enterprise development, supply chain and marketing practices that empower women.
6. Promote equality through community initiatives and advocacy.
7. Measure and publicly report on progress to achieve gender equality.
“The ‘multiplier effect’ of women’s empowerment has been increasingly acknowledged,” said Inés Alberdi, Executive Director, UNIFEM. “What is powerful and new today is that the corporate community itself reports that gender equality is good for business — advancing innovation, attracting top talent, raising positive consumer and community recognition and improving profits. This business case augments the efforts of women to realize their right to equality and economic empowerment.”
Drawing on real-life business practices, the Principles were developed through a year-long international multi-stakeholder consultation, and are designed to help companies to tailor existing policies and practices — or establish needed new ones — to advance women’s empowerment and inclusion.
Click to download WEP_EMB_Booklet